If you plan to get serious off-roading, you should have a jack handy. You’d never know when you have to lift your vehicle to navigate an obstacle, get unstuck, or access the underbody for some quick repairs. When dealing with the high ground clearances and large wheels of your 4WD machine, your best bet is to get a high lift jack.
In this piece, we’re taking a look at six of the best high lift jacks in the market today.
What is a High Lift Jack
A high lift jack, sometimes referred to as a “Hi-Lift” jack (especially because of a popular brand by that name), “farm jack,” or “handyman jack,” is a versatile piece of equipment primarily used for lifting, winching, clamping, pulling, and pushing. These jacks have a characteristic long, vertical design that allows for a greater lifting height than conventional jacks, making them especially useful for off-road vehicles with high clearances or large tires.
Here are some key features and uses of high lift jacks:
Design: High lift jacks consist of a long steel bar with a series of holes running along its length. There’s a mechanism that climbs this bar as the handle is operated, allowing it to lift weights.
Lifting: The primary function of these jacks is to lift vehicles or other heavy objects. This is especially handy in off-road situations where a vehicle might be stuck in mud or sand, and you need to lift it to place recovery boards or rocks under the tires.
Winching: With additional equipment, a high lift jack can be used as a manual winch to pull a vehicle out of a tricky spot.
Clamping and Spreading: Some users utilize the jack’s mechanism for clamping items together or for spreading things apart.
Pushing: It can also be used to push heavy objects or even to reposition vehicle parts, like realigning a bumper after a minor collision.
Safety: High lift jacks are potent tools, but they can also be dangerous if not used correctly. The jack can become unstable if it’s not set on solid ground or if the load shifts unexpectedly. There’s also the potential for the handle to kick back if not properly controlled. It’s essential to read the manufacturer’s instructions and safety guidelines before using a high lift jack.
High lift jacks are commonly found in the kits of off-road enthusiasts, farmers, and anyone else who might need to lift, pull, or adjust something heavy in a situation where a conventional jack would not suffice.
The Best High Lift Jack Roundup
Off-road enthusiasts and automotive professionals require a reliable high lift jack for their lifting needs. In this products roundup, we evaluate several options to help you find the best one for your off-road adventures or maintenance tasks.
Best Overall High-Lift Jack: Hi-Lift XT485
The Hi-Lift Jack XT485 is a high-quality and versatile jack that lives up to its reputation. With its impressive lifting capacity and ability to securely clamp objects, this high lift jack is a reliable tool for various tasks. Its sturdy construction ensures durability, while its special features, such as the adjustable top clamp and removable handle, add to its versatility. Whether you need to lift heavy loads, clamp objects securely, or spread materials, the Hi-Lift Jack XT485 is up to the task, making it a valuable addition to any toolkit.
- The Hi-Lift Jack XT485 is made in the USA with heavy-duty materials, ensuring its durability and reliability.
- It has a unique gold zinc-coated winch/clamp/spreader attachment, providing excellent rust resistance even with extreme use.
- The two-piece handle and socket design allows for easy and versatile use, with one position for all winching, clamping, and spreading positions.
- Some users have reported that the jack’s foot wings broke off or the lifting foot bent after heavy use, indicating potential durability issues.
- The jack’s paint may scrape off when lifting heavy weights, although this does not affect its functionality.
- One user mentioned that the jack did not work as intended for their specific prying/pushing action, resulting in damage to the cast foot wings and bending of the lifting foot.
Best Premium for Off Road: ARB Recovery Jack 1060001
The ARB Jack 1060001 is a reliable and powerful high lift jack that excels in heavy lifting and recovery missions. Its hydraulic technology allows for efficient and effortless lifting, while its low-profile design ensures easy access to tight spaces. Despite some concerns about the durability of the adjuster pin, the overall performance and safety features of the ARB Jack 1060001 make it a standout option in the market. With a rating of 4.0 out of 5 and positive customer reviews, it is evident that this high lift jack is a top choice for off-roaders and those in need of a dependable lifting tool.
- The ARB Jack features powerful hydraulic technology, providing a new dimension to traditional lifting techniques.
- With its low profile design, the ARB Jack offers ergonomic form and safe, reliable function.
- The 360° adjustability of the ARB Jack allows it to be rotated to align with the terrain, providing stability during use.
- Some users have reported that the adjuster pin, which needs to be used every time the jack is used, is made of cheap plastic and prone to breaking.
- The ARB Jack is quite expensive compared to other options on the market, making it less accessible to some buyers.
- The ARB Jack does not come with the ARB Jack Base, which is necessary for stability on soft ground during recovery missions.
Best Big Wheel Jack: Pro Eagle 3 Ton Big Wheel Hydraulic Jack
If you’re in the market for a high-quality high lift jack, look no further than the Pro Eagle 3 Ton Big Wheel Hydraulic Off Road Jack. This impressive tool is designed to handle the demands of off-road enthusiasts. With its durable construction, it can easily lift heavy vehicles without compromising safety. The ease of use and adjustable height make it a convenient choice for any off-road adventure. Overall, the Pro Eagle 3 Ton Big Wheel Hydraulic Off Road Jack is a worthwhile investment for those seeking a reliable and efficient high lift jack.
- Extended height with adjustable extension allows for lifting high clearance off-road vehicles.
- High capacity, non-pneumatic, composite wheels provide durability and heavy lifting capability.
- Sealed ball bearings ensure smooth rolling and operation in difficult conditions.
- Lack of steering on wheels may require manual swiveling.
- Packaging issues reported by some customers, including scrapes and chipped paint.
- Customer service response time and follow-through on reported issues could be improved.
Best Floor Jack: VEVOR 3 Ton Low Profile Floor Jack
The VEVOR 3 Ton Low Profile Racing Floor Jack is a top-notch high lift jack that has met all my car lifting needs. With its strong loading capacity and wide lifting range, this floor jack stands out from the rest. Its sturdy construction ensures durability and longevity, making it a reliable tool for various maintenance tasks. The safety features and compliance with international certifications provide peace of mind during use. If you’re in the market for a high-quality and versatile high lift jack, I highly recommend considering the VEVOR 3 Ton Low Profile Racing Floor Jack.
- Strong Loading Capacity – The VEVOR 3 ton floor jack has a strong loading capacity of 6600 lbs, making it suitable for various lifting purposes. Whether you’re a professional mechanic, car enthusiast, or DIYer, this jack can handle your car lifting needs.
- Wide Lifting Range – With a minimum height of 3-6/11″ and a maximum height of 19-11/16″, this floor jack meets the lifting needs of family cars, trucks, SUVs, and more. It allows you to lift your vehicle to the desired height quickly and efficiently.
- Sturdy and Lightweight – The VEVOR low-profile floor jack is made of heavy-duty steel and durable aluminum, combining strength and lightness. It weighs only 74 lbs, making it easy to carry and maneuver. The design of the armrests on both sides adds convenience for carrying and positioning.
- Subpar Handle Connection – A few users have experienced issues with the snap-in-place piece of the handle, finding it difficult to hold the handle in place when turning. However, this can be resolved by tapping a bolt in its place or expanding the bent piece.
- Handle Slipping Design – Some users have reported that the main handle tends to slip out while pulling the jack across the driveway. Although this may be a minor inconvenience, it doesn’t affect the overall performance and reliability of the jack.
- Heavier Weight – Compared to smaller jacks, the VEVOR 3 ton floor jack is heavier due to its sturdy construction. While this may be a drawback for some users, the added weight contributes to its durability and stability.
The Torin TRA8335 Off Road Utility Farm Jack is a budget-friendly option that delivers satisfactory performance. This high lift jack is suitable for lifting, pulling, and other applications. While some adjustments may be needed upon purchase, once those issues are addressed, the Torin TRA8335 proves to be a reliable tool. Its sturdy construction and wide base provide stability, making it ideal for off-road adventures and farm-related tasks. However, for frequent heavy-duty use or specific color requirements, it may be worth considering a more expensive alternative. Overall, the Torin TRA8335 offers great value for its price range.
- The Torin TRA8335 33″ Ratcheting Off Road Utility Farm Jack has a lifting range of 5.12″ to 26.38″ and a 3-ton load capacity, making it suitable for a wide range of lifting, pulling, clamping, winching, and spreading applications.
- This jack is designed to be used vertically and horizontally, offering multi-directional functionality. This makes it versatile and adaptable to various situations and environments.
- The Torin TRA8335 is built to withstand off-road and rough environments, making it ideal for farm-related applications. It can also serve as an emergency fire and rescue tool, adding to its usefulness and reliability.
- Some users have reported that the jack may require adjustments upon arrival to work correctly. However, these adjustments are relatively easy to make and do not significantly impact its overall performance.
- The product may not match the color depicted in the images, leading to disappointment for some customers who were expecting a specific color. However, this does not affect the jack’s functionality.
- The handle of the jack may be heavy due to its sturdy construction, which can make it slightly challenging to maneuver. However, this is a minor inconvenience compared to the jack’s overall performance.
The Jack Boss 3 ton Hydraulic Aluminum Car Floor Jack has proven to be an exceptional tool in terms of performance, durability, and ease of use. With a high lifting capacity and a low-profile design, this high lift jack is perfect for automotive enthusiasts and professional mechanics. Its quick lifting capabilities make it incredibly efficient, while its adherence to ANSI/ASME PASE safety standards ensures peace of mind during use. Overall, the Jack Boss 3 ton Hydraulic Aluminum Car Floor Jack is a top-notch product that surpasses expectations in terms of quality and reliability.
- The Jack Boss 3 ton Hydraulic Aluminum car Floor Jack has a lifting capacity of 6600 lbs, making it suitable for most sedans, SUVs, MPVs, travel trailers, station wagons, and mini buses.
- The low profile design of this floor jack, with a minimum lifting height of 3-15/16″, allows you to easily access and lift low ground clearance vehicles.
- The dual piston feature of this jack enables quick and easy pumping to reach the desired height. The large rubber saddle also helps protect your vehicle during lifting.
- Some customers have reported missing parts, such as the rubber saddle and instructions, when receiving the jack. This may require additional communication and resolution with the seller.
- The jack is described as heavy, which may make it less portable and more difficult to carry around compared to lighter alternatives.
- There is limited information available regarding the warranty and after-sales support for this product, which may cause uncertainty for potential buyers.
How to Choose a High Lift Jack
When buying a high lift jack, it’s essential to ensure that the one you select fits your requirements and ensures safety. Here are several factors to consider:
Material & Construction: Most high lift jacks are made of steel or cast iron. The material should be durable, resistant to corrosion, and able to handle the weight of your vehicle or the task at hand.
Lifting Capacity: Check the weight capacity of the jack. It should comfortably exceed the weight of the load you plan to lift.
Height: Look at both the minimum and maximum lifting height. Ensure it suits your needs, especially if you have a vehicle with significant ground clearance or large tires.
Mechanism: The climbing mechanism should be smooth and reliable. Some jacks come with a reversible ratchet mechanism, which is very convenient.
Safety Features: Some jacks are equipped with safety features such as shear pins, which break if the load exceeds the jack’s capacity, preventing any potential damage or injury.
Base Plate: A wider base plate provides more stability, especially when working on softer terrains.
Accessories: Some jacks come with accessories or have accessories available for purchase, like lift mate hooks, bumper lift kits, or off-road base plates. These can enhance the jack’s versatility.
Portability: Consider weight and size if you’re planning to transport the jack regularly, like during off-roading trips.
Price: While it’s tempting to go for cheaper models, it’s important to strike a balance between price and quality. Remember, a jack is a safety tool, and compromising on quality can lead to accidents.
Brands and Reviews: Established brands generally have a reputation for quality and safety. Reading reviews can also give insights into real-world performance and durability.
Storage: Some jacks come with a storage solution or a protective sheath to keep the jack in good condition when not in use.
Warranty and Customer Support: A good warranty can indicate the manufacturer’s trust in its product. Having robust customer support can be beneficial if you encounter issues or need replacement parts.
Environment & Usage: Consider where and how you’ll be using the jack. If you’re in a marine environment, you might want a jack that has been treated to resist corrosion.
The Bottom Line
High lift jacks are versatile tools essential for off-road enthusiasts. Their unique design allows for lifting, winching, clamping, and pushing in challenging terrains. While invaluable in many scenarios, safety is paramount, demanding careful handling and adherence to manufacturer guidelines to avoid accidents. They are a testament to ingenious engineering tailored for rugged environments.